Saturday, January 3, 2009

1st Chemo Treatment

My mom had her first chemo treatment on Monday, December 29th. My parents live out in the mountains and they usually have to drive three hours to the big city for doctor appointments. Thankfully there is an oncology center just down the road from my parents’ house and doctors from Albuquerque travel to Ruidoso once a week to meet with their patients. Several nurses run the facility and take care of the patients and administer chemo. The oncology office is very welcoming and my mom made quick friends with the nurses. My mom sat in an easy chair with a blanket and pillow and had everyone at her beckon call. They began the day by giving her pre-meds to help prevent reactions to the chemo. She had a reaction within the first 20 minutes of the chemo. They immediately stopped the chemo and gave her some more pre-meds. The rest of the chemo went great. The nurses said that from now on they will wait longer between her pre-meds and chemo to prevent another reaction. Overall the chemo went well and my mom loves the facilities and nurses.

No comments:

Post a Comment